Residence permit on the basis of pension is an opportunity which raising number of Non-EU nationals pursue once the latter become eligible to receive pension in their country of origin or in another country. The residence permit is issued for a period of up to 1 year and could be renewed on an annual basis giving the right to the applicant to live in Bulgaria.
The process for obtaining a residence permit on the basis of pension could be divided into three main steps.
- Application for Visa D
The Non-EU national should apply for Visa D at the Bulgarian Consulate at his/her place of residence. The documents for the Visa D application include among others criminal record, declaration for proof of address, certificate that he/she is entitled to a pension, etc. whereas all documents should be translated and legalized as per the applicable legalization procedure.
Visa D is issued within a period of up to 35 working days.
- Submission of an application for a residence permit at the Migration Directorate
Once the foreign national has obtained Visa D, he/she shall visit Bulgaria in order to apply for residence permit at the Migration Directorate.
The documents are submitted in the district administration of the Migration Directorate in Bulgaria. The list of documents to be presented includes among other standard documents also:
- Application form for granting the right of a long-term residence status to a foreigner in the Republic of Bulgaria;
- Copy and original of a passport;
- Copy and original of a Visa D and the seal for the last entry into the country;
- Criminal record certificate;
- Certificate that he/she is entitled to a pension;
- Bank certificate proving an existing bank account and available amount;
- Paid state fee – BGN 10;
- Positive statement of the Migration Directorate
The application shall be examined by the officials at the Migration Directorate within 14 days.
In the event of legal and factual complexity and the need to submit additional documents, this period may be extended by 1 month.
The state fee paid at the Migration Directorate for granting the residence permit on the legal basis of pension is:
- upon provision of residency for a period up to 6 months – BGN 200;
- upon provision of residency for a period between 6 months and 1 year – BGN 500.
For more information or legal advice and assistance, please use the contact form or reach out to us at email@example.com